Monday 26 November 2012

Kolkata Cityscape - Tramways


© Shubhankar Adhikari (Artist)
Watercolour painting on paper 

Sharing a painting from my “Kolkata Tram” series. In this painting I have painted a  tram passing through the lush green area of Esplanade .I have used here sap green, payne’s gray, lemon yellow  and little bit of ultramarine blue. I often love to travel by tram specially the Esplanade to Khidirpur  route.

Tram is one my favourite mode of transport. . I like tram because as a mode of transport it is very clean and green , environment friendly,no emissions ,safe and secured, moderately speedy, smooth and comfortable, pedestrian-friendly, affordable , inspiring for the creative minded people .

Kolkata is the only city in India where still trams are operating. Perhaps the Kolkata tram is the oldest electric tram in Asia.  Worldwide the trams are gaining significance after the sharp increase in oil price. I think the Kolkata tramways will retains its heritage and will expand further by setting up new routes as well as reopening the closed routes. There are huge fans for this iconic tram services in Kolkata and suburbs .  Recently we can see some beautiful modern trams replacing the old ones on the streets of Kolkata.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...